Surrender! The word that has come up continually in the Lord’s presence this year! I have come to one conclusion and it translates to everything in my life: “Surrender it to the Lord’s sovereignty, Michelle! Surrender everything.”
Everything you hold onto, is not actually yours. It was given to you by the Lord.
I am embarrassed to say that my wants and desires have caused me to plead in the presence of the Lord, expressing my desire and longing and asking for satisfaction of that desire. It has caused me to rage in the presence of the Lord, moaning at the unfairness of my unmet desires. My desire has caused me to be offended and be deeply disappointed. I have cried and wailed in the presence of the Lord because my desires have not been met.
How many times have I focused on Psalm 37:4 “Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart,” and came to Him with questions about my desires.
His answer lately is always “Surrender.” He reminds me that He can be trusted:
- I can entrust my treasures to him. Those things that are so valuable to me: my relationships, my dreams, etc. because I know Him: “I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.” 2 Timothy 1:12
- He has promised to provide all I will need, everyday, even while my desires are not met. “I will provide what you need if you live for me and make the Kingdom of God your first priority.” (Matt 6:33 NLT)
- He is the One who brings about change, in His timing for His purpose. Any change that I try to establish, is temporary, but change He brings about brings about good not just for me, but everyone involved. (Rom 8:28) For I “know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
- He has everything in His hands, including my loved ones, my hopes, my dreams, my desires. John 3:35 “The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands.” With everything in His hands, He is in control.
- I don’t need to remind Him what my desires are, He knows them. He knows my thoughts intimately. “You have searched me, Lord, and you know me… you perceive my thoughts from afar… you are familiar with all my ways.” Psalm 139:1-3
Again and again, He calls me to surrender my desires and to trust Him only.
Trust Him because this is His heart:
“However, as it is written: ‘What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived’– the things God has prepared for those who love him – these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.” – 1 Cor 2:9-10
In short, to surrender to Him, is asking for what He wants in my life, not what I want. And trusting His heart, anyway.
Surrender will cost me. I will cost everything!
“In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.” (Luke 14:33)
In essence, to surrender is to acknowledge that:
- It is not about you anymore. (Gal 2:20)
- You have been made new and the past is no longer relevant to who you are now. (Eph 4:22-24)
- Everything outside of God is worth nothing. Consider it rubbish (Phil 3:8)
- Pick up your cross daily, die to yourself daily. (Luke 9:23) Pay the cost daily.
- Watch yourself die. Your will and desires: only honor one person – Yourself. Each day, subordinate your will and desires to Him and watch yourself die. (Gal 5:24)
Lord I love You and You love me. That is why I can trust You…with everything. So instead of holding onto everything so desperately, help me to surrender it over to You. Trusting that You are working for my good, in your timing, in ways I cannot see. Help me also not to try and take it back! Help me to constantly, even when my emotions war inside me and my circumstances shout at me, trust You. Let the echo of my heart be: Lord I trust You. I will not try and control things, or make things happen, or interfere, or demand. I will not sulk, blame, be offended, but instead I will worship You, be grateful for what I have and trust You with what I don’t. I declare that I am a person who trusts God with my life, I am willing to sacrifice what I want and desire at His feet and trust Him for my life. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Leave A Comment