Sometimes we are confronted with disastrous circumstances and extraordinary difficulties and we cannot see a way forward. This is how the Israelites felt in Exodus 14 at the edge of the Sea, with expanses of water impossible to cross before them and an enemy out to destroy them, hard on their heels. They were afraid that they would die and cried out: “We don’t want disaster; we are willing to give up and go back to what we had before.”
What do we do, when we cannot go forward or backwards and the way to the left and right is blocked?
- Despair will say to us, “Give up, lie down, go home.”
- Cowardice will say: “What did you expect in this world, it is too difficult, abandon your principles.”
- Impatience will say: “Get up and do something.”
- Arrogance will say: “March ahead and expect a miracle.”
God says: “Stand firm.” Exodus 13:14 (Living Bible)
But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand where you are and watch, and you will see the wonderful way the Lord will rescue you today. The Egyptians you are looking at—you will never see them again.
- It is a time to rest and renew our strength in preparation for what is going to happen next.
- While we rest, we do not lie down like the defeated, instead, we maintain the posture of standing firm. We stand ready for action, expecting further orders and patiently waiting for the Masters voice and His next instruction.
So in times of uncertainty, we wait. Ready, expecting, listening, until we hear the Masters voice say to us, like He did to the Israelites “Move On.” It will come with clear instructions how to move on and what to do. James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
Thank you Father that even when I do not know what to do, You do. I can rest in Your strength and power and find refreshment. I don’t have to do anything, I merely have to wait until You show me what to do next. I do not have to panic or be afraid. I do not have to give up or surrender to circumstances that I want to get out of. I can wait, You will tell me what to do. Nothing is impossible for You.
If you enjoyed this post, also read: