Do you have a vision for your life? Even if you don’t really know if it could happen, do you have a vision? What are you expecting from God, believing for? Psalm 53:2 Message Bible
God sticks his head out of heaven.
He looks around.
He’s looking for someone not stupid—
one man, even, God-expectant,
just one God-ready woman.
God is sticking out his head to see if there is anyone who is God-expectant, ready for what God wants to do in our lives. Faith grows by expecting things from God, things we cannot necessarily see now. The biggest mistake most of us make, is that we have stopped expecting, we lack faith. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that “without faith it is impossible to please God.”
Here are five areas we should build expectations in:
- Expect greater intimacy with God, getting to know God more intimately than we know Him now. It is clear from scripture that if we seek the Lord out, He will be found. Deut 4:29
But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.
- Expect to exercise greater faith, believing God for greater things – more than we have believed him for in past. Greater faith has to be developed, it does not come naturally. This will require praying bigger prayers than we prayed in the past and being ready to take steps (believing), which we have not taken in the past. Heb 11:1
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
- Expect greater discipline in our lives. Personal self-discipline is a fruit of the Holy Spirit working in our lives (Gal 5:22-23) and we should have expectations of seeing more discipline evident in our lives. More disciplined time in the study of scripture, more disciplined times of prayer, more control of our tongue and our actions, more discipline of our flesh etc.1 Peter 1:5-8
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We should have expectations of greater obedience in our lives. As our love and joy in our relationship with the Lord grows, we should also have expectations of seeing greater obedience in our lives. Obedience that is quick, without question and as required. 1 John 2:4-6
Whoever says, ‘I know him,’ but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.
- Expectations of Greater Generosity in our Lives. The more we grasp that everything we have is given to us by the Lord and that He is in total control of our lives, the more we can be generous with precious resources like time, energy and money. All working towards the ultimate level of generosity we see in Jesus, who generously gave His life for us. We want to have expectations of being able to give ourselves more generously to the Lord as a living offering our very lives. 1 John 3:16
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
Just what are you expecting in your life? If you had to start expecting, what would you be most afraid of?
At that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps
and punish those who are complacent,
who are like wine left on its dregs,
who think, “The Lord will do nothing,
either good or bad.” – Zeph 1:12
Lord help me to be honest before you and admit that I have not been expecting much and in fact have been comfortable where I am and not expecting anything more. Help me to honestly start looking at my life and start building a vision of what could be possible in my life, even if it looks impossible right now. Help me to look at each of the above areas and imagine the possibilities of your hand in my life and start building greater expectation.
If you enjoyed this post, why not read: