Do you know how to start the new year? Happy new year to all readers of Heart Treasure, I hope that you have had a good rest and are ready to start the new year. As always, new year is a season for new beginnings, making a new start and putting fresh energy into existing projects. As we look to the year ahead we may be positive, neutral, or totally fearful of what they year may hold.
The secret of moving forward is to know where you are going and where you are now. All of the past cannot be changed, cannot be fixed and cannot be lived again. It is important to live a life without regret, and avoid stagnation. Moving forward requires an attitude that does not look back, like Pauls’ in Phil 3:13:
“Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead…”
I myself have been taking a look at my life in preparation for making plans for this year. In no time at all, I found myself revisiting some thoughts I had and shared with you in my season of being “circumspect” about life. Personally, it has been so helpful to go through these principles again, that I thought I would share them with you today. I will just introduce the thoughts, be sure to examine them more carefully by following the links.
So here are five thoughts I have dwelt on in starting the new year:
- Is my routine contributing to a purposeful, meaningful daily experience? A good routine can be liberating, the comfort of a routine (structures put into place that we know are good for us) allows us to free our minds and thinking to focus on the more important matters of life. It is good to do some “Routine Examination.”
- Do I have a balanced approach to life? If balance is avoiding extremes, have I lost balance in some areas and how will I know if I am living a balanced life? Even good things are harmful to us if pursued in the extreme, so where in my life do I need to examine balance?
- Am I living with purpose? Am I still clear about what the purpose of my life is and am I living in line with that purpose? It is so easy to start moving in a certain direction for your life and then forget why one started out in that direction. What is the purpose of the life I am living now?
- Do I have a personal code that I am living my life from? Often we don’t make resolutions, because we don’t keep those decisions. So we need to ask, am I making decisions based on what I believe is right for my life, based on my own personal code of value decisions? Do I need to revisit some areas of my life that are not moving in the direction I want them to move?
- Finally, am I making plans for my life? There is a real temptation to not bother making plans, but failure to plan is the root cause of failure. It is important to have a plan for how we will spend the time of this year. More importantly, am I making these plans in partnership with the Lord?
I hope these thoughts will be helpful to you as we start the year being “circumspect” about our lives, which scripture ensures us, is a wise approach to life. “See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” (Eph 5:15-16 NKJV)
Taking the time to think about our lives, to examine how we are living our lives is a good strategy to start the new year. This time of reflection, will give us the insight on how to start the new year.
Father, help me to spend time in Your presence meditating on Your purposes and ways in the world around me. Help me to consider how I am living this one life that You have given me. Help me to honestly examine my routine, balance, purpose, decisions and plans for my own life, considering what You and I want to see in the future. Help me to build a vision and plan that is in line with the desires of Your heart. Then help me to work out the plans with all my heart, both in my words and in my actions.
If you enjoyed this post, also read: